Slow simmered Lamb in onion, tomato and Punjabi spices.
This particular style of preparation is inspired from Punjab where the onions are allowed to caramelize in oil and the meat is gently ‘bhunnaoed’ & later cooked with tomatoes and coarsely grounded spices.
SERVES – 6
Vegetable Oil – 1, Cinnamon – 1”stick, Cardamom-4nos, Clove-4nos, Bay leaves – 2nos, Onion Grated – 400 gms, Chopped garlic – 2 tbsp, Grated ginger – 4tbsp, Lamb cubes – 1 kg, Salt- to taste, Coriander powder – 3tbsp, Tomato puree – 800 gms, Kashmiri chili powder – 1tbsp, Turmeric – 1tbsp, Black cardamom seeds crushed – 2tsp, Crushed fennel seeds – 1tbsp, Chopped coriander – 1cup, Ginger juliennes – ½ cup, Lemon juice – 30 ml, Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottom pan. Splutter whole spices (cinnamon, green cardamom, clove). Add onion, cook till golden brown.
- Once the onions are done, add, Chopped garlic, grated onions, lamb cubes, stir around to sear the meat on a medium to high flame.
- Add coriander powder& salt to lamb, mix gently, cover the pot and allow the lamb to cook on a low flame. Add little water in between if required.
- Once the lamb is cooked to 60%, stir in tomatoes, Kashmiri chili powder & turmeric powder. Continue cooking the lamb on a low flame with lid on.
- When the Lamb is soft enough & cooked remove the lid & cook till lamb masala is thick in texture.
7-Add black cardamom, crushed fennel seeds, chopped coriander and ginger juliennes.
- Towards the end adjust the seasoning with salt& Lemon juice (if required)& finish by adding Ghee.