SERVES – 5
Vegetable Oil – 1, Cinnamon – 1”stick, Cardamom-4nos, Clove-4nos, Bay leaves – 2nos, Onion Grated – 300 gms, Chopped garlic – 2 tbsp, Grated ginger – 3tbsp, Lamb cubes – 1 kg, Coriander powder – 3 tbsp, Tomato puree – 600 gms, Kashmiri chili powder – 1tbsp, Turmeric – 1tbsp, Curry leaves, Tamarind pulp-4tbsp, Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
*Cashewnut – 50 Gms
MERIYAL MASALA –yield – 8-10 ports
Coriander seeds 50 gm, Cumin seeds- 5gm, Green cardamom- 5gm, Cloves -3gm, Mace-2gm, Star anise-2nos, Cinnamon-5gms, Bay leaf – 2nos, Red chilies whole-5no’s
Crushed pepper corns-1tbsp, Chopped coriander – 1cup, Ginger juliennes – ½ cup, Ghee – 3 tbsp.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottom pan. Splutter whole spices (cinnamon, green cardamom, clove). Add onion, cook till golden brown.
- Once the onions are done, add, chopped garlic, grated onions, lamb cubes, stir around to sear the meat on a medium to high flame.
- Add coriander powder, salt & Curry leaves to lamb, mix gently, cover the pot and allow the lamb to cook on a low flame. Add little water in between if required.
- Once the lamb is cooked to 60%, stir in tomatoes, Kashmiri chili powder & turmeric powder. Continue cooking the lamb on a low flame with lid on.
- When the Lamb is soft enough & cooked add coconut & cashew paste Along with 4 tbsp of spice pwd, coconut milk& Tamarind pulp. Mix it gently & cook for another 5 minutes.
- Towards the end adjust seasoning with salt & add crushed peppercorns along with Chopped Corriander, ginger juliennes & ghee.
1-Roast the grated coconut in an oven till dry & golden brown in color.
2-Soak the toasted coconut & cashewnut in hot water for an hour & than blend them to a fine paste.
1-For Meriyal masala dry roast the spices & than grind them to a fine pwd.